[FFmpeg-user] what is the difference between hwaccels cuda and cuvid?
Roman Gorelik
2018-11-06 10:32:52 UTC

Can someone explain please what is the difference between hwaccels cuda and
cuvid? Which one should be used in which cases?

PS C:\vers\Release> .\ffmpeg.exe -hwaccels
ffmpeg version 4.0.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
built with Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.00.24215.1
for x64
configuration: --enable-asm --enable-yasm --enable-nvdec --disable-doc
--enable-shared --disable-static --disable-bzlib --disable-libopenjpeg
--disable-iconv --disable-zlib --disable-dxva2 --disable-d3d11va
--enable-decoder=tscc --toolchain=msvc --arch=x86_64 --extra-cflags=-MD
--extra-ldflags='/NODEFAULTLIB:libcmt' --enable-cuda --enable-cuvid
--enable-nvenc --enable-libopenh264
--extra-cflags=-I/c/svn/ExternalLibs/CudaToolkit_9_0/include
--prefix=/c/vers/ExternalLibs/ffmpeg_4_0
libavutil 56. 14.100 / 56. 14.100
libavcodec 58. 18.100 / 58. 18.100
libavformat 58. 12.100 / 58. 12.100
libavdevice 58. 3.100 / 58. 3.100
libavfilter 7. 16.100 / 7. 16.100
libswscale 5. 1.100 / 5. 1.100
libswresample 3. 1.100 / 3. 1.100
Hardware acceleration methods:
cuda
cuvid

---
Roman Gorelik
Moritz Barsnick
2018-11-06 12:37:37 UTC
Post by Roman Gorelik
Can someone explain please what is the difference between hwaccels cuda and
cuvid? Which one should be used in which cases?
I personally have no idea, but a bit of an (internal) explanation was
given here recently:

http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2018-November/235929.html

But that apparently did leave some questions open:

http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2018-November/235930.html

Cheers,
Moritz
ffmpeg-user-
Roman Gorelik
ffmpeg-us
Carl Eugen Hoyos
2018-11-06 12:56:35 UTC
Post by Roman Gorelik
Can someone explain please what is the difference between hwaccels
cuda and cuvid? Which one should be used in which cases?
Adding to the answer: Using FFmpeg's parser and not Nvidia's can
help with unusual samples.
Post by Roman Gorelik
PS C:\vers\Release> .\ffmpeg.exe -hwaccels
ffmpeg version 4.0.2 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg developers
built with Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 19.00.24215.1
for x64
configuration: --enable-asm --enable-yasm --enable-nvdec --disable-doc
--enable-shared --disable-static --disable-bzlib --disable-libopenjpeg
--disable-iconv --disable-zlib --disable-dxva2 --disable-d3d11va
--enable-decoder=tscc
Unrelated:
The following have no effect, removing them makes debugging
easier:
--enable-asm --enable-yasm --disable-libopenjpeg --enable-decoder=tscc
(You cannot enable tscc with --disable-zlib)

Is there something about iconv that we should know?
Why are you disabling it?

Carl Eugen
Roman Gorelik
2018-11-06 15:24:07 UTC
Hi Carl Eugen,
Post by Carl Eugen Hoyos
Post by Roman Gorelik
Can someone explain please what is the difference between hwaccels
cuda and cuvid? Which one should be used in which cases?
Adding to the answer: Using FFmpeg's parser and not Nvidia's can
help with unusual samples.
Thanks for the hint.
Post by Roman Gorelik
for x64
configuration: --enable-asm --enable-yasm --enable-nvdec --disable-doc
--enable-shared --disable-static --disable-bzlib --disable-libopenjpeg
--disable-iconv --disable-zlib --disable-dxva2 --disable-d3d11va
--enable-decoder=tscc
The following have no effect, removing them makes debugging
--enable-asm --enable-yasm --disable-libopenjpeg --enable-decoder=tscc
(You cannot enable tscc with --disable-zlib)
Is there something about iconv that we should know?
Why are you disabling it?
I believe for historical reasons. Removing everything as you advise
including '--disable-iconv' doesn't affect anything, so I accept these
changes. Thank you.
Post by Carl Eugen Hoyos
Carl Eugen
Roman Gorelik