[FFmpeg-user] ffplay and vdpau?
Markus Grabner
2012-07-17 20:02:15 UTC
Hi all!

Which command line options are required to use vdpau when playing an mts
video with ffplay? I tried the following:

1.) mplayer video.mts

This plays the video with ~94% processor usage.

2.) mplayer -vo vdpau video.mts

This plays the video with ~3% processor usage, which seems to confirm that my
system supports vdpau and decoding is actually done by the GPU.

3.) ffplay video.mts

This plays the video with ~107% processor usage (as reported by top, it's a
dual core machine with obviously more than one thread busy).

4.) ffplay -codec:v h264_vdpau video.mts

No video is rendered, only the sound is played. The following messages are
displayed ~2000 times:
[h264_vdpau @ 0x7fa13c004780] decoding to PIX_FMT_NONE is not supported.
[h264_vdpau @ 0x7fa13c004780] ff_MPV_common_init() failed.
[h264_vdpau @ 0x7fa13c004780] decode_slice_header error
[h264_vdpau @ 0x7fa13c004780] no frame!

5.) ffplay -codec:v h264_vdpau -pix_fmt vdpau_h264 video.mts

This terminates with the message
Option -pix_fmt is deprecated, use -pixel_format.

6.) ffplay -codec:v h264_vdpau -pixel_format vdpau_h264 video.mts

This terminates with the message
Option pixel_format not found.

I tried the following versions of ffplay:
*) release 0.11.1
*) current head revision from the git repository

and the following graphics cards:
*) Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT
*) Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

The behaviour was the same in all configurations. So how can I tell ffplay to
use vdpau for decoding?

Thanks & kind regards,
Markus
Carl Eugen Hoyos
2012-07-17 21:41:14 UTC
Post by Markus Grabner
Which command line options are required to use vdpau
when playing an mts video with ffplay?
ffplay does not support VDPAU.

Carl Eugen
Markus Grabner
2012-07-17 22:10:26 UTC
Post by Carl Eugen Hoyos
Post by Markus Grabner
Which command line options are required to use vdpau
when playing an mts video with ffplay?
ffplay does not support VDPAU.
What a pity :-( I was looking for a simple way to demonstrate vdpau usage and
intended to debug into ffplay to find out how vdpau is used. I probably have
to change my plans...

But libavcodec supports vdpau, right? What would be the next simplest way to
use vdpau? Maybe mplayer?

Thanks & kind regards,
Markus
--
Markus Grabner
Institute for Computer Graphics and Vision
WWW: http://www.icg.tugraz.at/Members/grabner
Carl Eugen Hoyos
2012-07-18 06:05:54 UTC
Post by Markus Grabner
But libavcodec supports vdpau, right? What would be the
next simplest way to use vdpau? Maybe mplayer?
Afaict, MPlayer is the standard VDPAU testing application.
(The VDPAU support in MPlayer was mostly written by Nvidia.)

Carl Eugen
Markus Grabner
2012-07-19 07:35:11 UTC
Post by Carl Eugen Hoyos
Post by Markus Grabner
But libavcodec supports vdpau, right? What would be the
next simplest way to use vdpau? Maybe mplayer?
Afaict, MPlayer is the standard VDPAU testing application.
(The VDPAU support in MPlayer was mostly written by Nvidia.)
Thanks for the hint, then I'll try this!

Kind regards,
Markus