[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg and multiple outputs
Ricardo Kleemann
2015-08-02 05:07:21 UTC

I know I can do more than one output but is it possible to use ffplay in conjunction with that?

I believe it’s possible to pipe ffmpeg output to ffplay, but what about doing ffplay as well as streaming?

I’d like to use ffplay as a monitor of what I’m grabbing with ffmpeg, but then also need to stream that out.

thanks
Ricardo
Carl Eugen Hoyos
2015-08-02 17:08:16 UTC
Post by Ricardo Kleemann
I know I can do more than one output but is it
possible to use ffplay in conjunction with that?
I believe it’s possible to pipe ffmpeg output to
ffplay, but what about doing ffplay as well as
streaming?
ffmpeg (the application) allows to display without
using ffplay.

Carl Eugen
Dave Rice
2015-08-02 21:42:07 UTC
Post by Carl Eugen Hoyos
Post by Ricardo Kleemann
I know I can do more than one output but is it
possible to use ffplay in conjunction with that?
I believe it’s possible to pipe ffmpeg output to
ffplay, but what about doing ffplay as well as
streaming?
ffmpeg (the application) allows to display without
using ffplay.
I’m interested too in piping an output from ffplay. I know ffmpeg can use a display output like sdl, but ffmpeg doesn’t have the same navigation shortcuts as ffplay. I’d like to play with ffplay, be able to navigate and seek, and pipe the output to a device.
Dave Rice
Ricardo Kleemann
2015-08-03 00:51:39 UTC
Hi Carl,
Post by Carl Eugen Hoyos
Post by Ricardo Kleemann
I know I can do more than one output but is it
possible to use ffplay in conjunction with that?
I believe it’s possible to pipe ffmpeg output to
ffplay, but what about doing ffplay as well as
streaming?
ffmpeg (the application) allows to display without
using ffplay.
Good point, how would I display ffmpeg on OS X? I’m not quite sure what the output device would be?

thanks
Ricardo
Post by Carl Eugen Hoyos
Carl Eugen
Moritz Barsnick
2015-08-03 07:48:20 UTC
Post by Ricardo Kleemann
Good point, how would I display ffmpeg on OS X? I’m not quite sure
what the output device would be?
The output device "sdl" is the first that comes to mind.

$ ffmpeg -i $infile -f sdl "SDL output"
and you can add another output, i.e. to file, after those arguments.

Moritz

P.S.: You may have to add "-pix_fmt yuv420p" to get it to work,
depending on the input format. I believe my sdl didn't like
another format, and ffmpeg didn't convert automatically.
Christian Ebert
2015-08-03 08:23:57 UTC
* Moritz Barsnick on Monday, August 03, 2015 at 09:48:20 +0200
Post by Moritz Barsnick
Post by Ricardo Kleemann
Good point, how would I display ffmpeg on OS X? I’m not quite sure
what the output device would be?
The output device "sdl" is the first that comes to mind.
$ ffmpeg -i $infile -f sdl "SDL output"
and you can add another output, i.e. to file, after those arguments.
Moritz
P.S.: You may have to add "-pix_fmt yuv420p" to get it to work,
depending on the input format. I believe my sdl didn't like
another format, and ffmpeg didn't convert automatically.
Almost, it needs yuyv422:

$ ffmpeg -i $infile -pix_fmt yuyv422 -f sdl "SDL Output"
--
Was heißt hier Dogma, ich bin Underdogma!
[ What the hell do you mean dogma, I am underdogma. ]
http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/underdogma-movies/id363423596
MrNice
2015-08-03 10:49:35 UTC
Post by Moritz Barsnick
Post by Ricardo Kleemann
Good point, how would I display ffmpeg on OS X? I’m not quite sure
what the output device would be?
The output device "sdl" is the first that comes to mind.
$ ffmpeg -i $infile -f sdl "SDL output"
and you can add another output, i.e. to file, after those arguments.
Moritz
P.S.: You may have to add "-pix_fmt yuv420p" to get it to work,
depending on the input format. I believe my sdl didn't like
another format, and ffmpeg didn't convert automatically.
$ ffmpeg -i $infile -pix_fmt yuyv422 -f sdl "SDL Output"
This a feature I need as well!
I tried on my Fedora 22 PC but I get the error:

./ffmpeg -debug 1 -f pulse -ar 44100 -ac 2 -channel_layout stereo
-thread_queue_size 512 -i alsa_input.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo -f
v4l2 -ts mono2abs -channel 1 -video_size 720x576 -pix_fmt yuyv422
-thread_queue_size 512 -i /dev/video0 -f sdl "SDL output" -c:v libx264
-preset slower -qp 0 -pix_fmt yuv422p -c:a pcm_s16le
/Store3/Test/t_`date +%Y%m%d_%H%M`.mkv
Successfully opened the file.
Parsing a group of options: output file SDL output.
Applying option f (force format) with argument sdl.
Successfully parsed a group of options.
Opening an output file: SDL output.
[NULL @ 0x3142b80] Requested output format 'sdl' is not a suitable
output format
SDL output: Invalid argument

SDL is installed. Do I need to compile with a SDL option? or there is
another output format?
MrNice
2015-08-03 11:06:20 UTC
Post by Moritz Barsnick
Post by Ricardo Kleemann
[...]
Obviously I don't have SDL output:

./ffmpeg -formats | grep SDL
ffmpeg version N-73832-g736a386 Copyright (c) 2000-2015 the FFmpeg
developers
built with gcc 5.1.1 (GCC) 20150618 (Red Hat 5.1.1-4)
configuration: --enable-libpulse --enable-gpl --enable-libx264
libavutil 54. 28.100 / 54. 28.100
libavcodec 56. 49.101 / 56. 49.101
libavformat 56. 40.101 / 56. 40.101
libavdevice 56. 4.100 / 56. 4.100
libavfilter 5. 25.100 / 5. 25.100
libswscale 3. 1.101 / 3. 1.101
libswresample 1. 2.101 / 1. 2.101
libpostproc 53. 3.100 / 53. 3.100
DE smjpeg Loki SDL MJPEG

What is the compile option?
Moritz Barsnick
2015-08-03 11:41:06 UTC
Post by MrNice
Post by MrNice
SDL output: Invalid argument
This means you don't have the "sdl" output device.
Post by MrNice
Post by MrNice
SDL is installed. Do I need to compile with a SDL option? or there is
another output format?
What is the compile option?
No special option. You need to have the development libraries for SDL
installed.
On RedHat-type Linux distributions: SDL-devel (in addition to SDL).
On Debian-type distributions such as Ubuntu: libsdl1.2-dev (in addition to libsdl1.2).

A nice check: If you had SDL installed correctly, ffplay would have
been built as well. (SDL is the only extra dependency ffplay has.)

Moritz
Christian Ebert
2015-08-03 13:35:12 UTC
* MrNice on Monday, August 03, 2015 at 12:06:20 +0100
Post by MrNice
./ffmpeg -formats | grep SDL
ffmpeg -devices

narrows it down better for this purpose imho.
--
\black\trash movie _SAME TIME SAME PLACE_
New York, in the summer of 2001

--->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/stsp.php
MrNice
2015-08-03 15:11:53 UTC
Post by MrNice
./ffmpeg -formats | grep SDL
ffmpeg -devices
narrows it down better for this purpose imho.
Thanks Moritz and Christian
I installed SDL-devel and recompiled the last snapshot, working fine now :-)
Ricardo Kleemann
Christian Ebert
2015-08-04 00:17:40 UTC
* Ricardo Kleemann on Monday, August 03, 2015 at 10:57:01 -0700
Post by Ricardo Kleemann
Thanks everyone for the follow-ups. Does anyone know if SDL also works on
OSX,
yes
Post by Ricardo Kleemann
or what would be the equivalent?
For this specific purpose (ffmpeg output device) there is no
equivalent as far as I know. But I haven't looked hard.
--
theatre - books - texts - movies
Black Trash Productions at home: http://www.blacktrash.org